Pro Bono Coordinator
Homeless Persons Representation Project (HPRP) is seeking a full-time (40 hours per week) Pro Bono Coordinator to support to HPRP’s robust pro bono program. The Pro Bono Coordinator will begin work on June 26, 2017. HPRP’s Pro Bono Program enables over 400 volunteer lawyers, paralegals and law students to deliver legal services and conduct intake at community based legal clinics. HPRP’s volunteers provide services in two substantive areas: veterans’ benefits and criminal record expungement. The Coordinator will support the work of the Pro Bono team, which includes the Director of Pro Bono Programs and a staff attorney.
- Establish and monitor legal clinics, including booking off-site locations; scheduling volunteer attorneys, paralegals, and law students to staff clinic sites; and arranging HPRP clients to meet with volunteers
- Maintaining effective communication with clients and managing client expectations from intake through the end of the case
- Organize and maintain case files related to pro bono programs, including copying, scanning and disseminating files to volunteers
- Maintain and track database of volunteer and client information, including entering case information into database
- Communicate with volunteers regarding case placement, updates, etc.
- Provide administrative support to Director, staff attorney and pro bono attorneys
- Conduct community information presentations
- Train and supervise volunteers
- Assist with grant reporting
- Other administrative duties as assigned
Skills & Required Experience
- Education: AA in Paralegal Studies, or BA or BS
- Proficiency with computer and internet technology, i.e. Microsoft Office for Windows (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Administrative experience in a legal, social work and/or public interest environment, including through an internship or volunteer program
- Prior experience with people living in poverty or experiencing homelessness
- Detail oriented and able to produce accurate work product
- Experience with database entry
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Initiative identifying and troubleshooting problems and challenges
- Ability to set priorities and handle multiple tasks
- Ability to remain calm and patient in a fast paced environment
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
Salarydepends on experience. HPRP provides excellent benefits: vacation (20 days per year), sick leave (10 days), personal days (3 days), and holidays. Employee premiums 100% covered for medical, prescription, dental, vision. Short and Long Term Disability Insurance and Retirement plan with supplemental employer contribution (a 1% contribution is approved for FY 2017) also provided. Some evening hours and occasional weekends required; HPRP provides for a flexible work schedule.
Send a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to email@example.com (please specify Pro Bono Programs Coordinator in the subject line). We are looking for thoughtful, personalized cover letters that demonstrate the applicant’s qualifications, work style and interest in being part of a team working to eliminate homelessness in Maryland. We are looking for applicants who have a comprehensive understanding of oppression, and structural racism, including how structural racism perpetuates barriers to housing and income. Resume reviews begin immediately and applications will be accepted until position is filled.
HPRP is an equal opportunity employer. All interested persons encouraged to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, HIV status or religious affiliation.