Part-time Administrative Assistant
Baltimore City Office
If you are interested in an entry-level position where you are helping to connect people who are experiencing homelessness to civil legal aid and other resources and you want to work within a team of dedicated advocates, then the Homeless Persons Representation Project (HPRP) has a position for you as a part-time (24 hours per week) Administrative Assistant for its Baltimore City Office!
HPRP provides free legal services and advocacy to persons who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in Maryland. HPRP’s staff and volunteers pursue this mission by offering legal services through outreach in shelters, soup kitchens, government offices, community centers and the street. HPRP as a whole provides legal representation in over 1,000 civil legal matters each year primarily through regular off-site intake locations in Baltimore City and Cecil, Montgomery and St. Mary’s Counties. Over 400 volunteer lawyers, paralegals and law students assist with intake and provide representation to HPRP clients at many of these locations. Direct representation informs broader-based systemic advocacy and impact litigation to address the root causes of homelessness. HPRP has two offices, one in Baltimore City and one in Montgomery County. The Baltimore City Office serves as HPRP’s headquarters.
Reports to: Office Administrator
Supervises: Not Applicable
- Greet visitors to HPRP and connect them with appropriate HPRP staff;
- Greet all telephone callers to HPRP’s Baltimore Office and check all messages on main-line voicemail, connecting callers/messages to HPRP staff as applicable;
- Receive information request forms from HPRP website and forward to HPRP staff as applicable;
- Identify legal or other issues appropriate for HPRP staff. Provide referrals to other legal service providers, shelters and other social service providers as appropriate. Keep accurate data of all referrals;
- Receive and distribute mail to appropriate HPRP staff;
- Make copies, send faxes, ensure proper supply of fax coversheets, mailing labels and staff meeting agendas;
- Monitor and, upon approval of Executive Director, order supplies for HPRP, including toner, copier paper, adding postage to the meter, and other office supplies as identified;
- Assist Development Director with mailings and outreach at HPRP events;
- Assist Executive Director with preparation of information packets, room reservation and food delivery for HPRP Board Meetings;
- Assist HPRP staff with updating, editing, copying, and folding brochures, as well as maintaining proper supply of brochures in waiting room;
- Assist Office Administrator with upkeep and maintenance of copier, telephones, computers and other office equipment.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum Education: High School Diploma, GED or High School Equivalency
- Proficiency with computer and internet technology, i.e. Microsoft Office for Windows (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.), database entry, and internet search engines
- At least 3 months of prior administrative experience
- Prior experience with people living in poverty or experiencing homelessness
- Initiative identifying and troubleshooting problems and challenges
- Ability to set priorities and handle multiple tasks, detail oriented, and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to remain calm and patient in a fast paced environment
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Experience in a legal, social work and/or public interest environment, including through an internship or volunteer program
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
Salary and Benefits
$18,720 - $25,000 depending on experience. HPRP provides excellent benefits: vacation (96 hours per year), sick leave (40 hours per year), personal leave (24 hours per year), and holidays. Employee premiums 100% covered for medical, prescription, dental, and vision. Retirement plan with supplemental employer contribution (a 1% contribution is approved for FY 2018) also provided. Attendance will be required for the following evening events: six (6) board meetings and an average of three (3) special events per year. HPRP provides for a flexible work schedule.
Apply by sending a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and the names and contact information of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org (please specify Administrative Assistant in the subject line). We are looking for thoughtful, personalized cover letters that demonstrate the applicant’s qualifications, work style and interest in being part of a team working to eliminate homelessness in Maryland. We are looking for applicants who have a comprehensive understanding of structural racism, including how structural racism perpetuates barriers to housing and income. Resume reviews begin immediately and applications will be accepted until position is filled.
HPRP is an equal opportunity employer. All interested persons encouraged to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, HIV status or religious affiliation.