Program Assistant, Montgomery/Prince George's County Office
Homeless Persons Representation Project (HPRP) is seeking a part-time (20 hours per week) Program Assistant to support HPRP’s new Montgomery/Prince George’s County satellite office, opened in April 2017. The Program Assistant will support the Director of the Montgomery/Prince George’s County office in establishing and operating a pro bono program and will also provide general administrative assistance.
- Organize and maintain case files related to pro bono programs, including copying, scanning and disseminating files to volunteers
- Maintain and track volunteer and client information, including entering case information into database
- Assist with operation of legal clinics, including booking off-site locations; scheduling volunteer attorneys, paralegals, and law students to staff clinic sites; and arranging for HPRP clients to meet with volunteers
- Communicate with volunteers regarding case placement, timekeeping, and case management
- Maintain effective oral and written communication with clients and manage client expectations from intake through the end of the case
- Provide administrative support to Director
- Ability to remain calm and patient in a fast paced environment
Skills & Required Experience:
- Fluency, written and oral, in Spanish required (please note in cover letter); bilingual in Spanish and English a plus
- Minimum Education: Associate’s Degree
- Proficiency with computer and internet technology, i.e. Microsoft Office for Windows (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.), database entry, and internet search engines
- Administrative experience in a legal, social work and/or public interest environment, including through an internship or volunteer program
- Prior experience with people living in poverty or experiencing homelessness
- Initiative identifying and troubleshooting problems and challenges
- Ability to set priorities and handle multiple tasks, detail oriented, and excellent oral and written communication skills
$18,000 - $20,000 depending on experience. HPRP provides excellent benefits: vacation (80 hours per year), sick leave (40 hours per year), personal leave (24 hours per year), and holidays. Employee premiums 100% covered for medical, prescription, dental, and vision. Retirement plan with supplemental employer contribution (a 1% contribution is approved for FY 2018) also provided. Some evening hours and occasional weekends required to staff pro bono clinics; HPRP provides for a flexible work schedule.
Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and the names and contact information of three references to email@example.com (please specify Montgomery/Prince George’s County Program Assistant in the subject line). We are looking for thoughtful, personalized cover letters that demonstrate the applicant’s qualifications, work style and interest in being part of a team working to eliminate homelessness in Maryland. We are looking for applicants who have a comprehensive understanding of oppression, and structural racism, including how structural racism perpetuates barriers to housing and income. Resume reviews begin immediately and applications will be accepted until position is filled.
HPRP is an equal opportunity employer. All interested persons encouraged to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, HIV status or religious affiliation.