Public Benefits Law Clerk, Summer 2018
Summer full-time, unpaid position
The Homeless Persons Representation Project (HPRP) is seeking to hire a full-time law clerk for the summer to assist its public benefits attorneys in the Baltimore City office.
HPRP's mission is to end homelessness in Maryland by providing free legal services, including advice, counsel, education, representation and advocacy, for people who have low or no income and who are experiencing homeless or at risk of experiencing homelessness.
HPRP is a non-profit organization that provides free legal services and advocacy to maximize our clients’ ability to gain and maintain stable income, healthcare, housing, education and employment. The direct representation provided by HPRP informs the organization’s policy work which deals with complex legal and systemic issues facing people struggling with housing and income insecurity in Baltimore City and around Maryland. Therefore, HPRP provides both direct legal representation and corresponding client and community education in order to foster and promote the public interest.
HPRP’s Baltimore City office is located at 201 North Charles Street, Suite 1104, Baltimore MD 21201.
- Legal research and writing, including assisting with motions practice at the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) and any appeals to the Circuit Court
- Assist attorney with hearing/trial preparation
- Client interviews
- Maintain client files
- Communication with clients, department of social services, courts, and partner agencies
- Conduct outreach sessions at shelters, soup kitchens and government agency offices
- Assist attorney with legal rights presentations
- Excellent research, writing, and legal analysis skills.
- Good communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability and/or interest in working with clients who have low or no income and who lack stable housing.
Applicants should submit cover letter, resume, writing sample and list of two (2) law-related or law school references to Michelle Madaio, Staff Attorney, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are looking for thoughtful, personalized cover letters that demonstrate the applicant’s qualifications, work style and interest in being part of a team working to eliminate homelessness in Maryland. We are looking for applicants who have a comprehensive understanding of structural racism, including how structural racism perpetuates barriers to housing and income. Resume reviews begin immediately and applications will be accepted until position is filled.
HPRP is an equal opportunity employer. All interested persons encouraged to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, HIV status or religious affiliation. Individuals who have experienced homelessness are strongly encouraged to apply.